[Standards] XEP-0136: last call feedback

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Fri Apr 11 14:06:47 UTC 2008

Hi Pieter,

Some comments on some of your comments ;-)

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:

> 1. Replication
>
> The text in Section 9.4 says:
>
> "Along with its copy of the archive the client SHOULD save the most
> recent <last/> identifier that it received from the server. The next
> time it synchronizes with the server it SHOULD specify that identifier
> when requesting the first result set page (see above)."
>
> However, it's not clear how the client can specify the <last/> value
> when it requests the first result set page. Would that be something like
> this?
>
> Example 61. Requesting a page of modifications
>
> <iq type='get' id='sync1'>
>   <modified xmlns='urn:xmpp:tmp:archive'
>             start='1469-07-21T01:14:47Z'
>             version='3'/>
>     <set xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/rsm'>
> ==>   <last>rh49al47fh2nzljjfh2lww</last>
>       <max>50</max>
>     </set>
>   </modified>
> </iq>

Well, I would say just use XEP-0059 <after> element, no? These would
be regular RSM queries with standard syntax & behavior. Actually I
think there's no need to specify anything more other that <last> ID is
persistent, so it can be reused between sessions, but that's already
in place.

> 3. The 'with' attribute
>
> We still need to finalize how we're going to handle wildcards.

I thought you're almost convinced to use 'exactMatch' approach, or
have you got any better idea?

Good luck!                                     Alexander