[Standards] Query Regarding MUC XEP-0045

Matthew Wild mwild1+jig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:03:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>  Everything in XEP-0045 covers your relationship and interactions with a
>  particular room, not the service. I've been hearing about more use cases
>  for interaction with the service itself, so perhaps it's finally time to
>  write a spec about that (probably using ad-hoc commands, similar to
>  XEP-0133 but just for MUC).

Would this be a good XEP to include something I think is much needed,
the ability to discover whether a particular nick is registered? or
should this rather be in XEP-0045?

The reason I believe this is needed is because the lack of it makes nick
registration fairly useless in anonymous rooms. If someone can see
that a user's nick is registered, they have a certain level of
assurance that the next time they see this nick, it is the same
person. Without this knowledge it may as well be someone completely
different.

Currently I don't believe there is any way to tell, which means that
even if you register your nick on a service, it provides little
benefit (unlike it would on IRC/NickServ).

I believe this would be a small but valuable extension to the protocol.

Matthew.