[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0136 (Message Archiving)

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Fri Apr 11 20:55:35 UTC 2008

Hello All,

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:

>> I think <changed> and <removed> are only mentioned in passing before
>> section 9.4 (Replication), so some explanation early on (where they
>> referenced for the first time) would be helpful.
>
> In fact there should be a <created/> element, too. Thus:

Are you really sure the separate element is needed for created collections?
With current structure it's already possible to differentiate "new"
collections from the "old" ones by "version" attribute, so "created"
seems to provide no extra information.

Besides of that what if collection was created and then changed, and
after that replication takes place? With current approach it's just
one "changed" item, but what should be sent when using "created"
element? Two records? (one for "created" and one for "changed")? But
"changed" element is already enough to know the fact that collection
was created, so it's just an overhead. When client performs its first
replication this "created" element would increase responce size by the
factor of 2 (as every collection was created first and then in most
cases changed later by adding messages there).

Overall that's not a huge problem, but to be frank I just do not see
any real benefit from having separate "created" element, only some
complications.

Good luck!                                     Alexander