[Standards] Shared XML Editing and offline delivery

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Apr 15 14:19:20 UTC 2008

Alban Crequy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shared XML Editing (SXE) has some <message> stanza that may be
> stored by the Jabber server if the contact is offline.
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxe.html
>
> The example 9 is:
> <message
>    from='laertes at shakespeare.lit/castle'
>    to='kingclaudius at shakespeare.lit/castle'>
>   <sxe xmlns='urn:xmpp:tmp:sxe' id='e' session='851ba2'>
>     <connect/>
>   </sxe>
> </message>
>
> It sounds to me undesirable to store this message offline for later
> delivery. The protocol does not specify if we should use transient
> messages as defined by XEP-0079:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0079.html#examples-transient

Good point. Expiring such messages using XEP-0079 would make sense.

BTW, I've been in contact with a number of shared editing teams outside
the Jabber universe lately and they are interested in discussing this
topic in a more focused way, so I might start a small discussion list
about it soon (similar to the social at xmpp.org list). In fact I might
also start a list for web services discussions, related to the IO Data
proposal.

https://stpeter.im/