[Standards] Shared XML Editing and offline delivery

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 15:08:14 UTC 2008

Le Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:19:20 -0600,
Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> a écrit :

> Alban Crequy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Shared XML Editing (SXE) has some <message> stanza that may be
> > stored by the Jabber server if the contact is offline.
> > http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxe.html
> >
> > The example 9 is:
> > <message
> >    from='laertes at shakespeare.lit/castle'
> >    to='kingclaudius at shakespeare.lit/castle'>
> >   <sxe xmlns='urn:xmpp:tmp:sxe' id='e' session='851ba2'>
> >     <connect/>
> >   </sxe>
> > </message>
> >
> > It sounds to me undesirable to store this message offline for later
> > delivery. The protocol does not specify if we should use transient
> > messages as defined by XEP-0079:
> > http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0079.html#examples-transient
>
> Good point. Expiring such messages using XEP-0079 would make sense.

I forget another similar problem if SXE uses a MUC chat room. Some
MUC implementations send a short history to newcomers. Even if the
contact is online, the newcomers should not get from the past, when
they were not in the membership session. I don't know whether XEP-0079
can be used in this case.

Also, which servers currently implement transient messages from
XEP-0079? It is not mandatory in XMPP Core and XEP-0228 says it only
requires XMPP Core (section 2.2) if I understand the section correctly.

> BTW, I've been in contact with a number of shared editing teams
> outside the Jabber universe lately and they are interested in
> discussing this topic in a more focused way, so I might start a small
> discussion list about it soon (similar to the social at xmpp.org list).
> In fact I might also start a list for web services discussions,
> related to the IO Data proposal.

I would be interested to follow discussions about shared edition.

--
Alban