[Standards] Jingle gateways, Stanza Session Negotiation and Service Discovery

Paul Witty paulrw at codian.com
Mon Apr 21 17:38:20 UTC 2008

When gatewaying from H.323 or SIP to Jingle/XMPP, the features designed
to not leak presence make it very hard to actually connect calls to
arbitrary Jingle clients.  While this is clearly useful, in preventing
things like the audio spam which can be found on Skype, it makes my life
rather difficult.

 From what I can tell, XEP-0155 helps to get around this.  However, it
would be nice to include the ability to not just share presence, but to
also share service discovery information.

I've not yet tried doing this; it may be that it's entirely the wrong
way to go about it, so if anyone can suggest a better way, please speak
up.  For example, I'd like it so that one person could have many
different ways to be contacted e.g. H.323 endpoint, Jingle/XMPP client
on their desktop, Jingle/XMPP client at home.  We can't know in advance
what XMPP resource the user will have, so we want to just store the IP
address of their H.323 endpoint (e.g. 1.2.3.4) and their XMPP ID, and
then connect to whichever resource is currently available.

--

Paul