[Standards] Jingle and call forking?

Paul Witty paulrw at codian.com
Tue Apr 22 12:33:41 UTC 2008

Olivier Crête wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was re-thinking about Jingle and I was wondering why one had to choose
> one resources and not be able to just send the invite to all of the
> responders resources and just accept the reply from the first one? That
> would be like the call forking of the SIP world.

Any message not sent to a particular resource is handled by the server,
so in order to implement this the servers would have to be Jingle aware,
rather than just passing through messages to the clients.

On a client to client basis, you should have the presence information
from all the resources for a particular user, each with their specified
priority.  Service discovery on each resource can identify those with
Jingle support, and then session-initiate can be sent to the relevant
resource(s).  Choosing the highest priority available Jingle-supporting
resource seems like the most obvious choice, but I see no reason why
sessions can't be initiated to multiple resources.

--

Paul