[Standards] Jingle and call forking?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 23 03:27:27 UTC 2008

Paul Witty wrote:
> Olivier Crête wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was re-thinking about Jingle and I was wondering why one had to choose
>> one resources and not be able to just send the invite to all of the
>> responders resources and just accept the reply from the first one? That
>> would be like the call forking of the SIP world.
>>

> Any message not sent to a particular resource is handled by the server,
> so in order to implement this the servers would have to be Jingle aware,
> rather than just passing through messages to the clients.
>
> On a client to client basis, you should have the presence information
> from all the resources for a particular user, each with their specified
> priority.  Service discovery on each resource can identify those with
> Jingle support, and then session-initiate can be sent to the relevant
> resource(s).  Choosing the highest priority available Jingle-supporting
> resource seems like the most obvious choice, but I see no reason why
> sessions can't be initiated to multiple resources.

Right. The problem is if you don't have presence information because you
want to start a voice or video chat with someone who is not in your
roster. But then you can use stanza session negotiation to start the
communication. Personally I don't get all worked up about this use case
(presence is an add-on in the SIP world but core to XMPP), and we have a
solution if you really need it.

https://stpeter.im/