[Standards] Meta-Contacts: implementation notes

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Sun Apr 27 10:10:38 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-03-29, sob o godzinie 19:44 +0000, Pedro Melo pisze:
> there is a fallback
> protocol that requires only the usual roster to keep meta-contacts.
> If we assume that roster items with the same name + groups
> (basically, if the tag algorithm above yields the same hash for your
> roster entries) belong to the same meta-contact, we can implement
> meta-contacts without the need of any extra storage, just the roster.

This approach is IMO far superior than the artificial meta-contacts XEP.
I always advocated use of roster names to merge contacts into one
contact list item.
The meta-contacts XEP is a good example of over-engineering things that
have good-enough real life solutions already.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^' http://www.xiaoka.com/
._.(_.)_   im:smoku at xiaoka.com