[Standards] Extending private-storage [Was: Meta-Contacts: implementation notes]

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Mon Apr 28 09:26:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Apr 27, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Tomasz Sterna wrote:

> Dnia 2008-03-29, sob o godzinie 19:44 +0000, Pedro Melo pisze:
>> Using private storage is not a big
>> problem, except for the lack of notification on update.
>
> Why didn't we pursue this yet?
> The "Let's use PEP for this" hype is over, so maybe it's time to bring
> the subject back?

errr... PIP? aka http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0223.html

Isn't that what you want?

Best regards,

> IIRC there are two things with private storage people find annoying.
> 1. Lack of partial updates.
> 2. Lack of notification on element change.
>
> AD. 1. This is IMO not a problem really. But I may be wrong. Does
> anyone
> have a good, real life example of the situation, that this really
> is an
> issue? (real-life example, not some hypothetical abstract "problem")

It is but you can solve it in the pubsub context.

> AD. 2. This is fairly easy to fix. One/two evenings work, to add it to
> jabberd2. Is anyone willing to work with me on the protocol for
> updates?

I wrote something about this a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I should
also post it here:

http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2008/04/increasing_supp.html

The basic idea is this:

  * implement PEP/PIP in jabberd2;
  * re-write the private storage system on top of PIP.

Now your private-storage items have a dual life as PIP nodes also.
New clients can keep using the semantics of the original private-
storage-based protocol, but using PIP as transport. Old clients will
keep on working.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo