[Standards] Meta-Contacts: implementation notes

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 10:21:43 UTC 2008

Well, one issue with rewriting rosters is that it requires you to
modify the roster - this is pretty unhelpful if you have already
grouped your contacts for a reason - if you have a personal account
and a work account, you probably want Kevin Smith in the 'developers'
group at work, and in the 'people to play games with' on your home
account. Metacontacts allows you to keep this distinction, while still
grouping them. Other, more concrete, examples of where you can't go
modifying the roster grouping (or naming) is where you're pulling your
contacts out of LDAP or the like in shared roster groups server-side.

Renaming contacts works, and it's a fairly good solution for the
typical case, but it doesn't always work - I'm all in favour of
listing it as a possible fallback when iq:private or private pep
aren't available, but I don't see it as a workable solution in
exclusion.

/K