[Standards] Extending private-storage [Was: Meta-Contacts: implementation notes]

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Mon Apr 28 16:07:12 UTC 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Tomasz Sterna wrote:

> Dnia 2008-04-28, pon o godzinie 11:15 +0100, Pedro Melo pisze:
>>> I think his point was that implementing PEP just to get update
>>> notification for private storage is a bit heavy, and that he juts
>>> wanted to fix private storage instead.
>
> Exactly.
>

>> I think that "just implementing notification for private storage"
>> will end quite similar to PIP in the end.
>
> Not at all.
> I was thinking more along the lines of roster and privacy-list
> pushes after item update.

To whom would you push?

To all connected resources of the owner, right? Thats pretty close
the client experience with PIP.

Also, even if you instantly deploy that feature to all XMPP servers
in the world, clients wouldn't know what hit them. They are not
expecting that push. So now you need to deploy new clients to take
advantage of this. And if you are going through all that trouble,
would it be better to redeploy them with something that has a vast
range of usages (pubsub) instead of something that has limited use
(private-storage)?

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo