[Standards] Extending private-storage [Was: Meta-Contacts: implementation notes]

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Mon Apr 28 20:32:49 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-04-28, pon o godzinie 17:07 +0100, Pedro Melo pisze:
> To whom would you push?
Please read Roster Management section of XMPP IM RFC to see how roster
pushes work
and Editing a Privacy List section of XEP-0016 to see how privacy lists
pushes work.

> Also, even if you instantly deploy that feature to all XMPP servers
> in the world, clients wouldn't know what hit them. They are not
> expecting that push.

The nice side-effect of pushes is that handling of these IQ sets is
already implemented in clients.

> would it be better to redeploy them with something that has a vast
> range of usages (pubsub) instead of something that has limited use
> (private-storage)?

I really believe in Unix philosophy of small tools that do one thing but
do it well.
For storing private data on server we have private-storage.
PubSub is for publishing information to subscribed entities, not a Swiss
Army Knife to put anything in, just because we can.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^' http://www.xiaoka.com/
._.(_.)_   im:smoku at xiaoka.com