[Standards] stream restarts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Apr 29 20:55:15 UTC 2008

Gaston Dombiak wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> When I implemented "stream restarts" I was really following the spec
> without seeing the reason for the restarts. I was not sure if I was
> missing the point about something or not. In our case, the server was
> not keeping any information about the session so we really were not
> forgetting anything with the stream restart. Maybe I'm still missing
> the point here. :)

AFAICS, there never really was a point to stream restarts.

> Anyway, I'm all good with avoiding the stream restart and just use
> one stream header where TLS, SASL, etc. are negotiated.

Right. There is also the fact that using one stream header will enable
us to quiet those who say that XMPP is not XML. :P

> BTW, what's the reason for doing this change now? Is it to reduce the
> amount of traffic and make it more appealing to mobile clients?

Mostly this: we're in the process of cleaning up the core XMPP specs and
this seemed like an unnecessarily messy aspect of XMPP.

https://stpeter.im/