[Standards] stream restarts

Nathan Fritz nathanfritz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:15:27 UTC 2008

I think the stream restart is necessary for TLS, however, I never understood
why we don't formally close the stream.  I think that the stream should be
ended, and wait for an end-of-stream response from the server rather than a
"proceed."  Really, with encryption, we're all going to want to start a new
"document" anyway.  However, with SASL, I could see getting rid of it
entirely.

The other "messy" point I see is all of the special cases a server needs to
account for in roster and subscribe packets.  Subscription requests would be
better served as IQ queries, with the server providing a roster entry that
can then be edited.  I haven't given this a lot of thought, however.