[Standards] Message Mine'ing

Jack Erwin jerwin at jabber.com
Mon Dec 1 08:31:04 UTC 2008

  Hello.  My name is Jack Erwin, and I am the server architect at
WebEx/Jabber.  Joe Hildebrand and St. Peter have asked me to post my
thoughts on the message mine'ing XEP that has recently been proposed, so
here goes:

  The problem that we are trying to solve here is one of priority
management for XMPP resources as it applies to delivery of new
conversation threads.  For the purposes of this discussion, I will use
the example of an end user that regularly has two resources
simultaneously connected: one on his desktop client, and one on his
mobile device.  His desktop client currently has highest priority, and
he is getting ready to walk away from his desk.  The desired result is
that he will be made aware of new conversations on his mobile when he is
away from his desk.

  Current practices involve some sort of manual intervention.  For
example, the end user must manually set his priority, or provide some
sort of "focus" to the newly active client application to allow for
automatic priority brokering.  Expecting an end user to remember that he
must perform one of these actions when leaving his desk is onerous at
best.  The core problem here is that there is no reasonable way to
automatically detect that the user is switching client contexts, so we
must fall back to manual methods.

  Message mine'ing provides more of a "do what I mean" experience for
the end user.  When he leaves his desk, he will still be alerted via his
mobile client when a new conversation has been initiated, and will do it
without any sort of preparatory action.  If the end user participates in
the conversation, his desktop client will not be cluttered with the
initial fragment of that conversation.  As an added benefit, if he
chooses to ignore the conversation, it will be ready and waiting on his
desktop client when he returns.

Hopefully this will provide some measure of value.  Please feel free to
hit me up with any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Jack