[Standards] FINAL: XEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Dec 1 19:10:13 UTC 2008

Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Am 26.11.2008 um 22:21 schrieb XMPP Extensions Editor:
>
>> Version 2.0 of XEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications) has been released.
>>
>> Abstract: This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for
>> communicating the status of a user in a chat session, thus indicating
>> whether a chat partner is actively engaged in the chat, composing a
>> message, temporarily paused, inactive, or gone. The protocol can be
>> used in the context of a one-to-one chat session or a multi-user chat
>> room.
>>
>> Changelog: Per a vote of the XMPP Council, advanced specification to
>> Final; clarified the implicit discovery mechanism. (psa)
>>
>> Diff:
>> http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0085.xml?%40diffMode=u&%40diffWrap=s&r1=37&r2=2536&u=3&ignore=&k=

> Damn! We overlooked this one:
>
> Upon receiving a <gone/> event, a client MUST NOT re-use the same Thread
> ID and MUST generate a new Thread ID for any subsequent chat messages
> sent to the conversation partner.
>
> This is different to what the Threads XEP says, IIRC. Plus, it's a bad
> idea to close the session when there's a gone event, as you might close
> the window in an encrypted session and don't want to end it just because
> you closed the window.

First, don't panic.

Second, support for threads is OPTIONAL.

Third, the "Threads XEP" (XEP-0201) is not yet stable and references to
it (and any discussions of threads) need to be treated with caution.

Fourth, I think the text about threads in XEP-0085 will need to be
adjusted once XEP-0201 is stable. In fact, I think that all text about
threads should be in XEP-0201, not scattered about in XEP-0085 and other
locations.

Therefore I suggest that we put some serious thought into XEP-0201 and
move the threads text from XEP-0085 to XEP-0201.

https://stpeter.im/