[Standards] Message Mine'ing

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Tue Dec 2 05:54:24 UTC 2008

I think that message mine-ing is a very elegant and simple solution to
determining user intent.  Priority provides a course view of the
user's attentiveness and gets us mostly there, but requires users to
be proactive (e.g. diligently changing their presence).  On the other
hand, message mine-ing requires the users to be reactive, which most
already are.  In my opinion and experience, there's little additional
work clients and servers would need to do, and the payoff would be huge.

There are some additional things clients may need to do to make this
most effective, but I think that would have to happen regardless of
what solution is utilized.  Mr. Hildebrand suggested some based on
presence, and I think clients may also need to consider a full-JID
recipient stale after several moments of inactivity (e.g. leave the
chat window open "forever" but only actually have short bursts of
activity between long periods of silence).  However, I don't see these
behaviors having a negative effect on the user experience.  If
anything, it would most likely improve it by making it even more
obvious that a conversation is waking up.

--
Matthew A. Miller
linuxwolf at outer-planes.net