[Standards] XEP-0255 (Location Query)

kael ka-el at laposte.net
Sun Dec 14 18:45:52 UTC 2008

Helge Timenes wrote, On 12/12/2008 04:52 PM:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:15:30 -0500, Stephen Pendleton <stephenpendleton at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> - Is Example 7 allowed in XMPP/pubsub? It looks like the component is
>> publishing to the entities node. I suppose there is nothing wrong with
>> that, I just haven't seen it before.
>
> I was wondering the same thing when i wrote the draft. It is probably not the intended use of pubsub, but it does save a round trip of the location results. In buddycloud we have configured our location component such that our server (ejabberd) allows it to post on behalf of users (@Simon: correct me if I'm wrong or unclear on this)

It is possible to allow delegated Pubsub publication by a third-party
JID by using the 'pubsub#publisher' attribute value when creating a node :

<iq type='set'to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'>
     <create node='princely_musings'/>
     <configure>
       <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'>
        <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
          <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#node_config</value>
        </field>
        <field var='pubsub#publisher'
          type='jid-multi'
          label='The JIDs of those with an affiliation of publisher'>
         <value>geo.jabber.org</value>
        </field>
       </x>
     </configure>
   </pubsub>
</iq>

and/or (I don't remember exactly) by settings the affiliations for a node :

<iq type='set'to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'>
   <pubsub xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner'>
     <affiliations node='princely_musings'>
       <affiliation jid='geo.jabber.org' affiliation='publisher'/>
     </affiliations>
   </pubsub>
</iq>

But apparently, delegated publication isn't allowed with PEP. At least,
this is what I've been told by an Ejabberd developer who pointed
XEP-0163 <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html#approach-publisher>
which states in section 2.2 :

"There is no need for multiple publishers to a PEP service, since by
definition the service generates information associated with only one
entity. The owner-publisher for every node is the bare JID of the
account owner."

However, Openfire allows delegated PEP publication.

Could some Pubsub/PEP experts clarify on this point, please ?

--
kael