[Standards] New Proto-XEP: Multi-User Gaming

Jehan Jehan.3kgv8n at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Mon Dec 15 15:39:29 UTC 2008

Ok. If I may have a few remark (the mug XEP, not the instant game one):

When you forward a turn to other players, you don't specify who
played:

> EXAMPLE 42. SERVICE REFLECTS TURN TO ALL OCCUPANTS
> <message from='island-chess at games.shakespeare.lit/damsel'
> to='ferdinand at shakespeare.lit/laptop' type='chat'>
> <turn xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/mug'>
> <play xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/mug/chess' suit='queen' col='d'
> row='2'/>
> </turn>
> </message>

1/ When the game is such that you play one after another, it is ok. But
still I think it may be made clearer if you can tell which player
played. This is even more true when you have more than 2 players. With 4
or 5 players, it is nice to be clear who played what, even though
"normally" all game client should be knowing every time the current game
state. And if this is a game with no specific play order (any player can
make a turn anytime), then this stanza is even more useless...

Especially imagine a connection issue occured and some player missed
the stanza without the server knowing it. Then for this player,
everything is one-move wrong. If at the opposite, the stanza gives
information about who played, then at next stanza, the player's client
can see something is wrong.

2/ In the same optics, I think that turns can be numbered (then you see
when you miss a turn and their order). Then later on, it will even be
possible that a client can ask for a previous turn (because it missed it
for any reason, or because it does not keep history of the playing game
but the player wants to see a previous turn, etc.).

Moreover this would even enable a feature of playback of a game
(playback of your chess game after playing, or if a spectator enters a
running game and wants to see what he missed, not only the current
state, etc.).

3/ Finally when the system allows also some players to play and the
others to wait, there should be a "turn" stanza to aknowledge players
"now it is you" and "you don't have right to play".

Regards,

Jehan

--
Jehan