[Standards] Client-Generated Presence Probes

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Dec 16 03:03:19 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 15:08:00 Robert Quattlebaum wrote:
> Presence probes are useful to force a refresh of your presence state
> if you were previously ignoring presence (say, via a privacy list
> which blocks incoming presence).

It should really be the server's job to handle this problem.  As soon as you
stop ignoring some presence, a well-designed server should automatically get
you that presence.

Today, you generally need to probe contacts that you unblock.  It's nice that
this works (as opposed to being SOL), but in my opinion it's a total hack.

> Blocking incoming presence is useful in mobile environments when
> interest in other's presence is only necessary in very limited
> contexts. Receiving  and handling presence stanzas when they aren't
> being used wastes power, so it is a good idea to not have them be sent
> at all. The problem then comes what do you do when you want to
> actually view presence in a roster?
>
> Turning off the privacy list and sending a single presence probe makes
> the most sense, but handling unaddressed presence probes are currently
> not widely supported.

In a perfect world, you'd just turn off the privacy list and be done.  But, in
an imperfect one you have to probe all of your contacts.  That, or try
rebroadcasting your own presence, which in turn may cause some servers to
reprobe.

I agree there's a problem that needs to be made better.  Let's just do it the
right way then.

-Justin