[Standards] Client-Generated Presence Probes

Robert Quattlebaum darco at deepdarc.com
Tue Dec 16 22:01:19 UTC 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Remko Tronçon wrote:

>> Is this behavior that you are describing defined anywhere? This
>> sounds like
>> completely new behavior. It also sounds like it would be
>> significantly more
>> work to implement than what I am describing, considering how
>> complex privacy
>> lists are.
>
> I haven't checked whether this is described somewhere, but I agree
> with Justin that this is not the client's job.  (given that it's not
> the client's job to filter in the first place, nor to request any type
> of presence anytime without blocking rules).

Well, that would be great if it could be widely adopted.

Do you think such an addition should be made to the privacy list spec?

> How can it be more complex for the server to do a presence probe in
> the place of the client, instead of the client having to do it itself?

Because the server would have to add logic to parse the privacy lists
to determine when it is moving from a list which doesn't allow
incoming presence to a list which does. Not hugely complex, but not
trivial...

Although perhaps a trivial implementation of *always* doing a probe
when the privacy list changes isn't a horrible idea.

Robert Quattlebaum
Jabber: darco at deepdarc.com
eMail:  darco at deepdarc.com
www:    http://www.deepdarc.com/