[Standards] all presences for self?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Dec 19 15:59:24 UTC 2008

Tim Julien wrote:
> Is there any way to get the presence information for your account -
> logged-in in other places?  I assume you could do this by just adding
> yourself to your roster and subscribing to your own presence, but is
> this considered good (or at least acceptable) practice? In general I
> don't see myself in my own roster; I could imagine some hosts and
> clients might not handle that too well, or at least annoy the developers :)

Your server should send you your own presence. See here:

http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-07.html#presence-initial-outbound

"The user's server MUST also broadcast initial presence from the user's
newly available resource to all of the user's available resources
(including the resource that generated the presence notification in the
first place)."

This was not 100% clear in RFC 3921 so some servers might not do things
this way.