[Standards] all presences for self?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Dec 19 16:08:36 UTC 2008

Tim Julien wrote:
> Cool thanks - but will you be subscribed to future presence changes -
> i.e., will you know when they sign off?  I suppose you could essentially
> poll - with presence probes?

No!!!

http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-07.html#presence-broadcast-outbound

"The user's server MUST also send the presence stanza to all of the
user's available resources (including the resource that generated the
presence notification in the first place)."

This applies to unavailable presence, too:

http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-07.html#presence-unavailable-outbound

"The user's server MUST also send the unavailable presence stanza to all
of the user's available resources (including the resource that generated
the presence notification in the first place)."

So you're covered.