[Standards] Gateway behavior regarding nicknames and custom status

Matt Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Wed Dec 31 17:15:36 UTC 2008

Hello from an XMPP newcomer:

I've noticed that when a user logs in, the PyMSNt gateway queries the
server for the user's vCard and, if a nickname is set in that vCard,
passes that nickname on to the legacy IM network.  Likewise, when the
user broadcasts a presence stanza with a <status> element, PyMSNt passes
this custom status on to the legacy network.  However, it is sometimes
desirable to set one's nickname and custom status on the legacy network
independently.  Is such a feature beyond the intended scope of XMPP
gateways, or is this an area that has simply not been considered and
discussed?  I've verified that XEP-0100 doesn't cover this topic.  I'd
appreciate any thoughts or clarifications.

Thanks,
Matt