[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0171 (Language Translation)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Feb 2 00:27:00 UTC 2008

XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.3 of XEP-0171 (Language Translation) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for
> providing language translation facilities over XMPP. It supports
> human, machine, client-based, and server-based translations.
>
> Changelog: [See revision history] (kl/bf)
>
> Diff:
> http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0171.xml?r1=257&r2=1649

As far as I can see, the earlier feedback regarding this spec has not
yet been addressed. In particular the following issues:

1. Registering a translation provider with a server

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012579.html

I agree with Ralph Meijer that this can be done via entity capabilities
(XEP-0115):

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012596.html

But it would be good for the spec to say that explicitly.

And see also:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012581.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012582.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012585.html

2. Server-requested translation

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2006-October/012580.html

I think that one aspect of Chris's feedback is handled by the switch to
use of IQs, but not all aspects.

What do the authors of XEP-0171 think about these issues?

I'll try to complete my own detailed review soon.

https://stpeter.im/