[Standards] Publish-subscribe collection node deassociation notification

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sun Feb 3 14:38:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:13 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on getting publish-subscribe collection nodes implemented
> > in Idavoll. There are two ways to subscribe to a collection nodes using
> > the 'pubsub#subscription_type' subscription configuration option: nodes
> > and items.
> >
> > In the 'nodes' case, you get notifications when nodes get associated
> > with the collection. However, we didn't define protocol for notifying
> > subscribers of deassociation, and I would really like to have that.
> >
> > To propose new protocol for that, I'd like to know if there is anyone
> > actually implementing this bit of the spec.
>
> Ralph, it seems that you're the only one. :)

Heh. That's nice!

> Notification of a new node takes the following form:
>
> <message from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
>          to='francisco at denmark.lit'
>          id='newnode1'>
>   <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
>     <collection>
>       <node id='new-node-id'>
>     </collection>
>   </event>
> </message>
>
> I suppose that notification of node disassociation might look like this:
>
> <message from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
>          to='francisco at denmark.lit'
>          id='oldnode1'>
>   <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
>     <collection>
>       <disassociate id='old-node-id'>
>     </collection>
>   </event>
> </message>
>
> What do you think?

Sure that would work. The only thing that I noticed is that the use of
the 'id' attribute is not consistent with the use of the 'node'
attribute everywhere else in this spec.

If there are no implementers, I would suggest having
<associate node='NodeID'/> and <disassociate node='NodeID'/>.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm