[Standards] shared XML editing update

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:52:39 UTC 2008

Fabio Forno wrote:
> And simple dom replacement? I send a chunk of xml with the instruction
> "place as child of...", replace "item..."?

The problem is that you need to create a "record" for each new DOM node
that is added to the document. Therefore, if we want an instruction that
adds its XML payload to the document, we need to specify a unique way of
implicitly generating a record for each node in the payload. However,
that seems error prone especially given that different DOM engines may
parse the XML payload differently (e.g. I think IE ignores some
whitespace nodes that Firefox doesn't).

Joonas