[Standards] XEP-0107: Multiple moods?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Feb 4 22:50:09 UTC 2008

Dallas Gutauckis wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Dallas Gutauckis wrote:
>>
>>> If we're going to be changing XEP-0107, may I also propose that mood
>>> values be moved from being the node name to the node's attribute or
>>> value, and moving text into the node value?
>>>

>> Because that breaks all existing implementations. We like
>> backwards-compatability.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> A good argument for changing this is that this XEP is still in a draft
> state and should be open to changes.

A good argument against changing this XEP is that it is in a draft state
and should be open only to changes that are backwards-compatible if at
all possible, especially w.r.t. changes that are philosophical or
esthetic instead of functional or related to privacy and security.

> Node names in XML should never be dynamic, even if they are pre-defined.

I assume you would prefer this:

<mood xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/mood'
      value='happy'/>

... to this:

<mood xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/mood'>
  <happy/>
</mood>

And I consider that to be an esthetic argument ("attributes are more
elegant than elements").

https://stpeter.im/