[Standards] shared XML editing update

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:49:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 11:51 PM, Boyd Fletcher <boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil> wrote:

>  unfortunately its more complicated than that. You have to deal with lots of
> changes happening at the same time and you need to have some understanding
> of the data so that improper changes (like improper moves or deletes to
> layers or pages) to the DOM aren't made.  in any scalable system you can not
> rely on the client to provide correct data. you have to have the server
> verify the changes are safe/correct prior to sending them out to the group.
> a non-server based approach like SXE can't handle that well.

Yep, I get the point. In fact I was thinking of a completely different
application scenario: one "trusted" source  and many clients consuming
and displaying the changes. That's the case of widgets controlled by a
remote service, where you don't have many synchronization and dom
coherence problems, but just computational issues: sending directly
the dom diffs saves a serialization and bandwidth, and this would be
really useful for mobile clients, meaning to pay less for the
connection and extending battery life. Perhaps the best solution is
designing different transports and then the application can choose the
fittest.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com