[Standards] PEP and disco features question

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Tue Feb 5 00:41:08 UTC 2008

Hey everyone,

We added support for enabling/disabling Pubsub in Openfire and while testing
it ran into a problem/question. While doing a round of tests I noticed that
a disco#info to the server itself was returning a bunch of pubsub features
even when pubsub was disabled. A brief analysis revealed that they were coming
from our PEP implementation based on the spec http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html#disco.

In particular the XEP says: "If a server supports PEP, it MUST return an
identity of "pubsub/pep" (as well as a list of the namespaces and other features
it supports, including all supported XEP-0060 features):"

So the question is: What happens if pubsub is disabled? Should the pubsub
features still be returned since they belong to the PEP feature? My understanding
from the spec is that the answer is yes but wanted to double check it.

Thanks,

  -- Gato