[Standards] PEP and disco features question

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Tue Feb 5 18:03:19 UTC 2008

Thanks for the answers. Today is a new day and after reading again "If a
server supports PEP, it MUST return an identity of "pubsub/pep" (as well
as a list of the namespaces and other features it supports, including all
supported XEP-0060 features):" I think I understand my initial confusion
so let me rephrase the question.

In the examples of XEP-60 you can see that there is a pubsub service in the
server. In particular, disco#info packets are sent to 'pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
while in XEP-163 service discovery packets are sent to 'capulet.lit' (i.e.
the server itself). Therefore and following those examples, when you send
a disco#info to the server itself you should not be receiving the pubsub
features. However, since the spec of XEP-163 says "including all supported
XEP-0060 features" I guess the confusion was generated.

IMHO, we should remove those words from the spec and just leave there: "If
a server supports PEP, it MUST return an identity of "pubsub/pep" (as well
as a list of the namespaces and other features it supports):". So if you
happen to have the same server hosting pubsub (instead of using another service)
then you will need to return pubsub features in the disco#info sent to the
server; otherwise do not include them.

What do you think?

Thanks,

  -- Gato