[Standards] PEP and disco features question

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 6 17:16:37 UTC 2008

Hi Gato!

Gaston Dombiak wrote:

> Thanks for the answers. Today is a new day and after reading again "If a
> server supports PEP, it MUST return an identity of "pubsub/pep" (as well
> as a list of the namespaces and other features it supports, including
> all supported XEP-0060 features):" I think I understand my initial
> confusion so let me rephrase the question.
>
> In the examples of XEP-60 you can see that there is a pubsub service in
> the server. In particular, disco#info packets are sent to
> 'pubsub.shakespeare.lit' while in XEP-163 service discovery packets are
> sent to 'capulet.lit' (i.e. the server itself).

Perhaps the examples need to be clarified to reduce confusion.

> Therefore and following
> those examples, when you send a disco#info to the server itself you
> should not be receiving the pubsub features.

What is "the server itself" in these examples? Is that capulet.lit
(where Juliet uses the PEP service) or shakespeare.lit or something else?

> However, since the spec of
> XEP-163 says "including all supported XEP-0060 features" I guess the
> confusion was generated.

Well, a XEP-0060 feature is just another kind of feature, so it is
implicit that those features would be included too. But I don't like the
documentation to be implicit. :)

> IMHO, we should remove those words from the spec and just leave there:
> "If a server supports PEP, it MUST return an identity of "pubsub/pep"
> (as well as a list of the namespaces and other features it supports):".
> So if you happen to have the same server hosting pubsub (instead of
> using another service) then you will need to return pubsub features in
> the disco#info sent to the server; otherwise do not include them.

What do you mean by "hosting pubsub"? If you mean that the
shakespeare.lit server hosts the pubsub.shakespeare.lit service, then
(according to XEP-0030) the server would not return pubsub features,
since the features are supported by the service.

/psa