[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0201 (Best Practices for Message Threads)

Jérôme Carretero zougloub at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:54:04 UTC 2008

> So you recommend adding a 'parent' attribute to the <thread> element in
> rfc3921bis, correct? I think that change would be backwards-compatible,
> we just need to make sure that it is clearly specified.

Yes. I see that change has already been made ;)

I'd also suggest the use of time-based UUIDs, because :
 - for an instant messaging application, the risk of collision is null since 2 different machines couldn't generate the same UUID, and it's unthinkable that one machine could start 2 threads in a few 10^-8s. This risk is present (albeit ridiculous) with “fully-random” UUIDs.
 - time-based UUIDs could be convenient for being able to sort child threads by date without relying on more information in the messages (yes, this is a bit contrary to the opaqueness of the ThreadID...).
Of course it forces implementations to use time-based UUIDs, which costs a few more line of codes if done from scratch... and may be wishful thinking since some implementations might already exist today.

--
Jérôme Carretero

PS : 过年好!