[Standards] Another Jingle implementation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 7 15:53:39 UTC 2008

Paul Witty wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> I already have support for
>>> in-band DTMF, and, once I've written the stuff to negotiate it, will
>>> support RFC 4733 DTMF in the content channel.  I'll also implement DTMF
>>> in the signalling channel.
>>>

>> I see two options:
>>
>> 1. DTMF over XMPP (XEP-0181) ("in-band/signalling")
>> 2. DTMF over RTP (RFC 4733) ("out-of-band/media")
>>
>> Do you see a third option?
>>

> DTMF actually as tones in the audio.  Old-fashioned, but valid enough
> for G.711, and probably some other codecs as well.  Sometimes needed if
> going to a SIP to POTS gateway, and not a bad fallback if the far end
> doesn't offer support for XEP-0181 or RFC 4733.

Ah, OK, I got confused by terminology. Typically people call the
"signalling channel" something like SIP or XMPP (where you negotiate the
media session) and the "media channel" something like RTP (the transport
for the media). You're talking about sending DTMF as tones in the media
itself. Yes, that's old-fashioned, but it probably gets the job done. :)

https://stpeter.im/