[Standards] XEP-0225: Multiple Connections Per JID?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Feb 7 16:06:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 09:59 -0600, Daniel Henninger wrote:
> The main problem with resources is that they're already being used for
> other things with components.  MUC uses them for nicknames for
> example.  So if for some hypothetical reason you had 3 external MUC
> implementations that needed to use the same JID and they had to bind
> with a resource, that would get confusing quick.
> room at conference.example.org/instance1/mynickname ?  (I don't think
> that's a scenario that would come up, but hey.. just siting an example
> of where a component uses resources already)

Hmm, well I don't see why the instance resources couldn't live next to
the nicknames. Along the same line, there is no reason why MUC rooms and
IM accounts couldn't live in the same namespace (jdev at jabber.org and
ralphm at jabber.org, for example). I have no strong preference for
changing this (yet), but just wanted to relay my observation.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm