[Standards] [xmppwg] encapsulating NodeIDs in XMPP URIs

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Feb 7 16:09:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 09:04 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:37 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >> [..]
> >>
> >> So if there is no node identifier involved, are you suggesting that we
> >> would do (2) instead of (1) below?
> >>
> >> 1. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu
> >> 2. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu?
> >>
> >> How do we know that the query type is indeed empty? Do we need to do (3)
> >> instead?
> >>
> >> 3. xmpp:ralphm at ik.nu?;
> >
> > Easy, there is no URI query component in 1). I've always said that
> > applications that want to deference an XMPP URI like 1), should do
> > Service Discovery on the entity's JID that is identified by the URI, and
> > present the user possible actions based on that.
> >
> > For example, you can have a URI like <xmpp:jdev at conference.jabber.org>.
> >>From the URI alone, the application cannot know if this is a user's IM
> > account or a MUC room. Depending on the disco identity, an application
> > can present the action "open a chat to this user", or "add this user to
> > my roster", or "add this room to my roster" or "join this room".
>
> Agreed. I think we say that in XEP-0147 or RFC 4622, so do you propose
> any modifications to those documents?

No, it seems to me that we have sailed beyond that point and Dave made a
couple of nice observations that speak in favor of having something like
<xmpp:pubsub.jabber.org?;node=mynode>. I am just going ahead with using
such URIs to point to pubsub nodes in <link/> elements in HTML for
auto-discovery purposes.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm