[Standards] XEP-0225: Multiple Connections Per JID?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 7 17:21:01 UTC 2008

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:23 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> If this is a second instance, the server could return an indication of
>> that fact using something like a resource:
>>
>> <iq id='bind_1' type='result'>
>>   <bind xmlns='urn:xmpp:tmp:component'>
>>     <hostname>chat.example.com</hostname>
>>     <instance>8ba991jag</instance>
>>   </bind>
>> </iq>
>
> Huh, what? Why not be consistent and reuse the concept of resources?

It seems to me that you would end up with things like this:

pubsub.example.com/8ba991jag
pubsub.example.org/5fe372brd
pubsub.example.org/3bc716ffo

Would those be routable addresses? If so, would they be routable only
within the server (like the old <route/> packets in jabberd 1.x) or also
from the outside?

https://stpeter.im/