[Standards] Another Jingle implementation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Feb 8 15:19:35 UTC 2008

Paul Witty wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Paul Witty wrote:

>>> DTMF actually as tones in the audio.  Old-fashioned, but valid enough
>>> for G.711, and probably some other codecs as well.  Sometimes needed if
>>> going to a SIP to POTS gateway, and not a bad fallback if the far end
>>> doesn't offer support for XEP-0181 or RFC 4733.
>>>

>> Ah, OK, I got confused by terminology. Typically people call the
>> "signalling channel" something like SIP or XMPP (where you negotiate the
>> media session) and the "media channel" something like RTP (the transport
>> for the media). You're talking about sending DTMF as tones in the media
>> itself. Yes, that's old-fashioned, but it probably gets the job done. :)
>>

> I'd consider DTMF tones in the audio to be the only in-band method, with
> RFC 4733 being out-of-band as it is the same channel but different band
> as the media, and XEP-0181 being out-of-band as it is in a different
> channel to the media.  I may have a slightly video-conferencing view of
> the world though.
>
> For a bit of a laugh, I've also implemented DTMF through chat messages
> (as well as a very basic chat-based UI to connect to pre-defined
> destinations through the gateway), in order to let released versions of
> Google Talk send messages.

:)

Beyond DTMF, I still think there are very interesting possibilities to
use data forms (XEP-0004) for more structured interaction. Why go
through an IVR menu ("press 1 if you have billing questions" etc.) when
you can send a little form down to the end user and have them click a
few checkboxes?

https://stpeter.im/