[Standards] XEP-0118: music rating?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Feb 8 17:25:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:38 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:34 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >> Provisionally added:
> >>
> >> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0118-1.2.html
> >>
> >> http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0118.xml?r1=1555&r2=1596
> >
> > I don't agree that this particular piece of information belongs in this
> > format. The format is for showing what music you are listening to. How
> > you personally rate it is orthogonal.
>
> In fact, everything but a URI/UUID for the tune is orthogonal (track
> number, artist, etc. -- you should be able to discover that metadata
> somewhere else). The rating is the most personal part of what you're
> publishing, IMHO.

Heh, sure. But at least track number, artist, album states something
about this particular instance of a song, possibly uniquely identified
by a URI. All of them are about that /song/.

Data like your rating lives on another plane, to me, and are about how
you experience that song. Another example in that plane could be how
loud you're playing the song, on what kind of speakers, in what kind of
room, etc, etc.

I'd like User Tune to be just a format for describing the song itself.

> > I can imagine a child element in another namespace that holds this
> > information. Unfortunately we have no way to associate other (meta) data
> > in items besides SHIM. I am still not convinced on the one child payload
> > thing in XEP-0060.
>
> Start a separate thread on that. :)

Hmm, sure, I might. Didn't I do that before?

--
Groetjes,

ralphm