[Standards] binary XML (was: Re: [jdev] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 14 19:30:52 UTC 2008

Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Fabio Forno schrieb:

>> - compression is not as bad as I thought and if time to market is
>> essential that's the only viable solution
> see also my comments in the jdev thread, I think we should all hop one
> one thread ;-)
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2008-February/026157.html
>
> I have done lots of mobile programming and tests in the past. And it
> really performs very well. ZLib does not need much CPU and the
> compression ratio with XMPP XML is amazing.

IMHO we'll never get people to stop thinking that XML is verbose. It's
one of those memes that will never go away.

> When somebody wants to have this binary Xml, which I think is not a bad
> idea, then plug it into XEP-0138.

Correct. Boyd Fletcher volunteered to write the small spec for this
(basically just like XEP-0229 except defining the use of binary XML),
but nothing has been submitted yet.

https://stpeter.im/