[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?)

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:04:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

>  I've never been all that convinced about binary XML forms. They work
>  to a degree with the highly fixed XML in, for example, SyncML, and
>  they're pretty good at compressing individual stanza-like objects
>  over SMS for things like OMA EMN (Email Message Notification, or
>  something - I've long since forgotten what these acronyms stand for),
>  but for long-running streams I'm under the impression that studies
>  show it'll be outperformed.
>
>  So if you're a big fan of Binary XML formats, please bring along your
>  figures. :-)

Missing the reference, but you should get the best with binary +
compression, however it's not worth the candle, since EXTENSIBLE
binary xml is not easy (there are fast infosets, but the specification
is incredibly complex) and the gain is not so high

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com