[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stream Compression with Efficient XML Interchange

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 10:18:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 11:21 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:

> Title: Stream Compression with Efficient XML Interchange
>
> Abstract: This document specifies how to use Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) in XML stream compression.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

Did some homework about EXI. I don't know if handling it as a
compression method it's the best way, since it forces the client to
have both an xml parser just for the first stanzas before features
(indeed it could be done with some string search, but it's an ugly
hack) and the exi parser. EXI streams, instead, have a starting header
whose first two bits allow understanding whether the data is encoded
with EXI or text xml, so a client wanting to use it could open the
stream directly with EXI. If the servers doesn't understand it can
reply with an error.
AFAIK in RFC 3920 there aren't restrictions in this sense.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com