[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stream Compression with Efficient XML Interchange

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 13:23:50 UTC 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 1:52 PM, Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org> wrote:
> I would like to experiment with EXI, to test it out, but I could not
> find any open-source implementations.
>
> Any pointers?

Same for me. I've just found the framework w3c has used for benchmarking:
http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/

However the hard part seems not building a parser (it seems rather
compact and compression is made using standard DEFLATE after block
reorganization, so the hard work is free), but building the necessary
event grammars for optimized token econding.  Besides I haven't
understood how effective and practical could be using learnt grammars:
if we use generic events + qnames and attnames EXI loses a great part
of its compression power, if we stick to grammars we run the risk of
losing the X in XMPP

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com