[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0171 (Language Translation)

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Mon Feb 18 09:10:00 UTC 2008

Boyd Fletcher pisze:
> BTW, the language a user is speaking is identified by the XML:Lang attribute
> to the presence or message packet which unfortunately major clients to not
> send.

It's not easy to send xml:lang that always provides accurate
information. Yes, we can guess the language by looking at system locale,
client's translation pack selected by user, active keyboard layout, etc,
etc, but it still won't work automatically in all cases.

If I talk with one person in English and with other in Russian, a client
could detect that different keyboard layouts and send different xml:lang
attribute automatically. But if I talk in English and Polish, and all
English characters are included in Polish layout, then the only way to
detect this (without using AI, etc), would be asking the user to
manually specify the language. And now think how many users will always
set conversation language in every chat window..

--
Maciek
  xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net