[Standards] Multicast Working Group

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:19:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm very interested in multicasting for the XMPP world. Since last
summer, more precisely Google Summer of Code, badlop has pointed out
several bugs[1] which might need improvement in the XEP. In addition
to that I suggested some protocol addition which could even reduce the
traffic more. Advanced multicasting is very important for XMPP because
it'll help increasing overall stability a lot. Here a short list of
improvements XMPP world could get from improved multicasting:
- decrease of overall stanzas from MUCs and PubSubs
   * thus decrease of traffic
   * decrease of computation time needed for XML parsing
- adding email like multicast features on client side

To come to the point, I'm looking for people interesting moving this
XEP, XEP-0033, forward and get it wider deployed, on either side,
client and server. Everyone who is interested in building a working
group is welcome to leave a message or feedback. I plan real time
meetings in some MUC once a week or two weeks.

Cheers
Tobias Markmann

[1] http://wiki.jabber.org/index.php/Extended_Stanza_Addressing_%28XEP-0033%29
[2] http://ayena.de/index.php?q=tlor