[Standards] Google Androïd SDK not XMPP compliant ?

Dan Morrill morrildl at google.com
Mon Feb 25 05:12:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks very much for the extensive post Dan.

No problem, it was my pleasure!

> It would be great, for us, if you could keep us updated with what you
> discover about mobile 'XMPP', and what changes you need to make,
> because we'll undoubtedly need to look at it ourselves and wrap up and
> formalise the protocols (and who likes wasted effort? :))

We will definitely do this, as we encounter things that would be useful for
you guys to know.  So far I think the only possibly unexpected thing is our
finding about zlib and battery life, which is a little counter-intuitive.

> As for the excitement - Android having XMPP onboard was/is a very
> exciting thing

I totally agree.  The good news with respect to Android is that the system
is designed to allow services for things like XMPP to be installed just like
applications, so the community can provide an implementation for this as the
standard matures that will be usable right away.

- Dan