[Standards] DevCon report

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:05:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:06 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

>  2.1 What people have done or suggested
>
>  - fast reconnection
>  - pipelining of stream negotiation exchanges (Tony Finch)
>  - don't retrieve roster (but this doesn't really help)

Though sending roster diffs helps. There is a new possible approach
I've found only after the discussion we had: use just roster push,
that must implemented regardlessly any optimization. The client asks
for the roster adding a timestamp of the last received push, and the
server sends changes as pushes (all timestamped)

>  - compression

Under this topic nobody really seems ready to try the binary path

>  - BOSH (for mobile, is it better, the same, or worse than TCP?)

I'd say BOSH is the easiest way to make things work now. Almost
anything that you get with BOSH for free (implicit transactions, keep
the session alive while disconnected, no need to re-negoziate the
features) can be obtained also with adequate optimizations in TCP
sockets, but these must still be defined and implemented in servers

>  - "session pause" feature
>  - traffic filtering / profiles for mobile

What we will do is experimenting these strategies with our BOSH
connection manager : we'll keep you informed about the results

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com