[Standards] XEP-0175: Contact Addresses

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Wed Feb 27 15:44:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:05 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Pedro Melo pisze:
>> during the latest DevCon, one of the issues about deployment was
>> contact addresses. The current XEP for that is 0157.
>> I think that 157 breaks the current disco#info usage pattern. We
>> use disco#info to discover which protocols an entity supports, not
>> the get the information directly (exception for basic  <identity
>> >). So receiving the entire contact information in the disco#info
>> reply seems wrong, because on most requests, we don't need it.
>> I think we should use a pubsub node instead.
>
> If I remember well, disco + data forms were choosen to make this
> very easy to implement (using basic XEPs), because this information
> was considered very important.

The information is important but not to everyone, nor on every
request of disco.

> Now, if you go with pubsub, we run into "where is that node?"
> problem again. And for PEP you'd need to subscribe to server's
> presence..

The node is the namespace presented in 157 for example.

<iq type='set'
     from='francisco at denmark.lit/barracks'
     to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
     id='sub1'>
     <subscribe
         node='http://jabber.org/network/serverinfo'
         jid='my_domain'/>
   </pubsub>
</iq>

So there is no issue with the node name.

And you don't need PEP, just basic pubsub.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org