[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: DevCon report)

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:56:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

>  3) Client says "I have the roster as of this point in time". Server
>  either says "Here's the changes" or "Here's the whole roster",
>  depending on whether it can find all deletions.
>
>  This is basically addressing the shortfall of the above, and allows
>  for a single RTT self-correcting error case. I like this one best,
>  and it's pretty easy to implement.

I like this one, since it always has a backup when no sinchronization
is needed. Moreover the server can store only a window of changes, and
send the whole roster if the last known by the client is too old

>  I also have a fondness for modified strictly increasing timestamps,
>  but implementors need to appreciate that computer clocks go
>  backwards, so they need to remember to handle odd cases like that by
>  "letting time catch up" - just using a few ms later than the last
>  timestamp until the real time is greater than the last timestamp.

I wrote timestamps in my other mail, but any strictly growing sequence
of number is fine

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com